Saturday, September 20, 2008

One person's trash is my treasure...

Today was a great day! It started out like every other. I was walking Romey at 7:30 this morning when we accidentally ran smack into one of our neighbors' yard sales. Being the sucker that I am for a good deal AND for used furniture, I was practically sucked into their driveway. Good thing, too, because I found some treasures. Sweet couch, (with matching chair below)...

and cool bookcase. All to the tune of....(drumroll please)....$40. Pretty good, eh?

The day just continued to get better because later that afternoon when I stopped by to visit my Grammie, she happened to be cleaning out her garage. She hooked me up with some hidden gems: this green side table, and a different chair, which is still out in my car.

I'm beginning to feel like one of those old ladies that is hoarding furniture or something. If any of you have ever been to our house, you would know that A: we don't need any more furniture and B: we have no room whatsoever for extra furniture. The only reason I was able to pick up these sweet finds today is because Peter happens to be out of town at the U game. My initial disappointment/anger that he went out of town this weekend quickly turned to joy. (I'd say he got off easy...it's not like I hit Anthro today or anything.)

The other reason this day turned out so fabulous was because I was able to go to one of my former students' Make A Wish party today. She has a brain tumor and got to go on a shopping spree today. Here she is with her brand new ipod. (One of her many fun, new items.)

The women who granted her wish were so amazing. They went above and beyond...not only did they buy tons of stuff today, but they are going out on their own and decorating her bedroom and her little brother's. Paint, furniture, the whole works. I can't wait to go check out the finished product.

These were the yummy treats at the party. Another little girl who got her wish granted started this company. Check it out here. And next time you are in SLC, treat yourself because they are delicious!

This part was really cool. At the end of the party and once their wish has been granted, they raise a star in honor of the child and hang it from the ceiling, where it stays forever. The entire ceiling is full of different stars. Of course I was tearing up on and off the entire time. I'm so glad I was invited! Perfect Saturday...

10 comments:

Em N. said...

tia, tia, tia- I was just there on thursday and you were saying you had too much furniture! too funny BUT i LOVE your finds. great job- i'm glad you didn't pass these babies up. where are you going to put them? next time you're out maybe you could look for a desk for mike's slc office/peters tv room.
the m.a.w. looked awesome- what a sweet little girl. i love the star- they don't do that down here.
so great to see you last week. can't wait till next time!

slink said...

Even I have to admit they were some pretty good finds.

Jenny H said...

I am super impressed...and now I want cupcakes. I love the make a wish party, how lucky you got to go!

Amanda said...

Man, you are my hero! I never have the focus to hit up garage sales and I am so envious of your finds! That couch is awesome, and for forty dollars? Lady, that is treasure.

sterlingandbrandi said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I love finding old furniture. We have quite a few "treasures" found at DIs and garage sales. What I have for some reason is a plethora of chairs. Far more than I need.

Emily said...

um, love the book case & couch! 40 bucks that is crazy!! it was worth Peter going out of town. I would have let Josh go if I knew that would happen to me!

maWeesa said...

so.. where are you going to put the new stuff?? maybe peter should go to games more often!

Lindsey said...

T dog you are a girl after my own heart - furniture is my weakness! Especially good deals on vintage stuff. You look so cute and that party is adorable.
xoxo.

thechoulespauls said...

couch, chair, bookcase, cute student & especially those cupcakes= LUCKY, LUCKY GIRL!

Christina said...

Awesome purchases all for $40!! I agree with Missy - maybe Peter should go out of town more often. ;)