Saturday, September 15, 2007

OH YEAH...

So..we braved the crowds and decided to do the quintessential end-of-summer activity and hit the biggest waste of money, (otherwise known as the State Fair), this weekend. Our niece Olivia was having a sleepover so it seemed like the perfect time. I won't go into ALL of the gory details of the State Fair being the mother of all money pits, but let me give you a few highlights: $6 entrance fee per person with a discounted ticket, $6 funnel cake, $6 for a 3 minute jumpy thing, $20 for a handful of ride tickets. Now that I've gotten my complaining out of the way, let me show you all the wonderful ways that we had fun.

I had some really cool pics, but most were taken vertically and for some reason I can't turn them so I only put a couple on here. Here is one of my favorite reasons to go to the fair: the fun slide. The name alone dares one to resist.



Here is the afore mentioned jumpy thing. Three minutes of pure jumping enjoyment with the help of a harness and bungees.


One of the major highlights...(and free, might I add), was petting the newborn kids. (As in, baby goats). They were so cute...just learning how to stand and eat from their mamas.


Olivia and Owen really hit it off. Even though there is a 2 year age difference here, Owen's fearlessness was really good for Olivia and they bonded on the rides.


End of the night. Out of tickets and out of money, so it was time to go home. We almost felt like a little family here, but I'm pretty sure no one would ever believe Olivia was my child.


p.s. In order to save and avoid the $5 parking fee, we parked a couple of blocks around the corner in the total ghetto. On the way in, we only passed one pit bull and one person in a wife beater carrying a 12-pack into their home. It helps to have a gangsta (Peter) around to feel safe. I'm pretty sure that's how they get people to pay for parking because you are taking your life into your hands if you park elsewhere.

10 comments:

Paige said...

Tia..I love the fair! I forget every year what a rip off it is, until I get inside. Funnel cake and corn dogs are a dream there. I looked up the fair in phoenix yesterday and I have to wait til October. I love the white trashness of the fair. It's amazing. It's like a Walmart reunion. But somehow I love it.

Emily said...

I'm laughing out loud at Peter the gangsta. Remember when you went to the state fair to see Destiny's Child and they performed a grand total of like four songs?! I'm going to have to take you to the Iowa state fair...it's supposed the be the best in the country. I mean, how could it not be with a life-size cow made of butter?

Tia said...

Ya...still a little bit bitter about the Destiny's Child lame-o show. I don't think I'd been to the state fair since then. Let me know when the Iowa s.f. is, maybe I will plan a trip out. I do love butter.

whit said...

Olivia is so cute. I am glad you had a fun time. Parking in the ghetto to save a few bucks sounds like something we would do. Next time, Peter will have to grab the bat that is under his bed and bring it with him.

Andrea said...

Ok ok, so I'll return the $20 you spent on rides! Sheesh. Last time you take my daughter to the state fair... :)

Thank you for taking Olivia out for such a fun evening. Because I am a boring mother, I really appreciate you being a fun aunt!

...and you make a pretty cute family.

Candice said...

Tia, great post! Especially when I got to see great pics of Owen flying through the air with his long hair. Since Sarah is technologically challenged and never sends pics of the boys, your blog is my only nephew update- so thanks! It looks like you guys had a great night!

maWeesa said...

looks like you guys had fun with ms. O... oh.. i miss the state fair.. is a fall must... i'm not sure i can find one quite like it in NYC...

mandy said...

How to follow up a night at the State Fair....Vegas Baby!! Yes, we'll see you in just 3 days!!

Heidi Louise said...

I am so jealous that you went to the fair. I didn't make it this year and am really sad about it. Also, I am glad to see you are back and posting again. Yay! I love how cute Owen is... love his long hair.

Lindsey said...

T I hope you atleast ate enough junk food to make the trip to the fair worth it. Your pictures are awesome!!!