Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back to School Special

While this summer has been wonderful, I am actually glad to be starting back to school. (As a teacher, NOT student). Every summer feels shorter than the last. I can't figure out if that is an actual reality or if it is just a side effect of getting older. I'm hoping for the former reason. But, I digress...I am happy to be getting back to the day-to-day routine mostly because I have developed some not-so-healthy habits over the course of the summer.

For starters, I got this amazing chocolate chip recipe from my friend. So, duh, I have to make them that very day...and the next week...and the next week. Seems harmless, right? Not quite. I have gotten to the point where I make a fresh batch of dough to keep in the refridgerator and make a tray of fresh cookies every other day or so. Wait, I am not done....then, I make homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches every night. They are seriously the bomb and I am addicted. This madness has to stop!! What started as a little innocent baking has become a full-fledged obsession. Help!
Moving on....before the Olympics, there was seriously nothing on TV. So I started recording this show on A&E called Intervention. In all fairness, it is an excellent show and has been nominated for an Emmy. BUT, this show follows around hard core drug addicts and contains illicit drug use. Every time I watch it I have to close my eyes and I get a knot in my stomach. But every week, I find myself watching more. I think I hang in there because I love the actual intervention and seeing them after rehab. But still...this show is seriously unhealthy. I watched 3 episodes one day and had to take a major break for awhile. It is just a little bit too intense. On the upside, I AM pretty drug savvy now...


And lastly, while I have many more horrible habits, the last of the new-ish bad habits that I will share is that this summer we have totally let our dog sleep in our bed. While this picture is creepy, this seriously might as well be Romey. Point being: she has taken over!!
We used to let her out of her cage at like 6 am when she would start to whine, and she would climb into bed for just a little while before we got up. Then, it just kept gradually getting earlier. Now, she literally climbs into her cage for 1 minute and then starts to whine. I know it is our fault, but we have created a monster! Relaying this story reminds me of that church parable where the camel gets into the tent, but it just starts with his nose. While I am certainly not comparing Romey to Satan, (it's not THAT bad...yet), my quality of sleep has gone downhill in a major way. With no hope of reprieve anytime soon. Is this what it feels like to be a new Mom? If so, I feel sorry for all of you.

Anyways, like I said, I am excited to start work again on Monday.

12 comments:

Emily said...

that dessert looks yummm, is it like BJ's poozike?
Yeah you got to nip that romey sleeping in the bud, nothing is worse then bad sleep. Have fun in nyc, I will look for you on tv & call me when you get back!

Brianne said...

Great post. Che has been in our bed since 2 hours into night 1...thought there is a bit of a size difference. And, I really want one of those bad boys. Can we come down before you, Peter, and Jake leave me and the girls behind. I might forgive you all if I get a treat.

Jenny H said...

I love Intervention. I tivo and watch it religiously...it can't be worse than watching Living Lohan or something like that right?
And, now I think I'll go make some icecream sandwiches. Thanks a lot :)

josieposie said...

How could you post that without including the recipe? I think that needs to be your next post. When are you coming to CA next? We definitely need to get together.

Amanda said...

I want the recipe too! And we did the exact same thing with our dog - give 'em an inch and they take the whole bed!

Ashley C. said...

yum. those look like tasty treats. goodluck with school starting. it is always nice to have a schedule again.
yah- i feel like i have made those mistakes as a parent. it is always so much easier to give in- until you have created some sort of habit that is impossible to break. oh well. at least we are all sleep deprived together.
when do you go to nyc? so fun!

mandy said...

I'm with Josie...when are you coming to California? Whatever Europe and NYC?

Christina said...

Besides the fact that those ice cream cookie sandwhiches look delicious and most likely are delicious, you probablly had to eat them to comfort you after watching that show about drugs (depressing). At least that would be my excuse. Yeah, the lack of sleep is like being a new mom, but that wears off in a couple of months. I'm sorry that Romey keeps you awake, but isn't fun to have her sleep with you? It's good to hear that you're happy to be teaching again. What are your students like this year?

Paige said...

I am totally addicted to Intervention. Love it. Oh and by the way I love Sorrento Italy..As well as Capri and Cinque Terre. I want to go back right this minute.

Em N. said...

...and even worse, you told me about those ice cream sandys and now I'M addicted too. watch out, i may be next on intervention.

thechoulespauls said...

i'm thinking you need an intervention for your addiction to watching intervention!

i've partook- partaken- i've eaten- those cookies and MAN oh MAN are they yummy. and yes they had ice cream in between.

come home soon we'll eat more cookies then work them off together -that wasn't suppose to sound sexual- peter and adam are going to start wondering if we really are going to the gym now...

Jenny H said...

Tia - Did you watch the chick who inhaled computer cleaner on Intervention? I just watched that one last night, and it freaked me out. And, I usually don't get freaked out by that stuff. Pretty sad.