Friday, February 22, 2008

Dear Prudence

Maybe I'm the last person to see it, but I kind of loved Across the Universe. It helps to be a Beatles fan, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Watching this movie without any prior Beatles knowledge would be like going to a concert and not knowing any of the songs; and yet, it's still possible to totally enjoy it.

Since being married to Peter, I've become indoctrinated to his belief that the Beatles are the best band of all time. It also helps that the main leads in this movie are super cute. Who doesn't like a skinny, hippie guy with a British accent? The choreography is really cool and the quality of the singing is great, plus the singing is an extension of all of the dialogue. It's not like most musicals where all of the sudden the characters burst into these over-the-top theatrical musical numbers.

I will say that some of the psychadelic stuff gets to be a little much, but the bottom line is, you should see it. Tonight. Here's one of my faves.

4 comments:

Emily said...

T, I've been wondering about this show...maybe I'll rent it this weekend while Trent is gone! Thanks for the tip...

mandy said...

I've been wondering about it too. Adding it to the netflix queue.

Amanda said...

I've wanted to see this also, though I admit that cute little blondie dating Marilyn Manson really turns me off her; I mean really, doesn't she have to be the weirdest, darkest girl on the planet to want to sleep with that man-thing? However, I love skinny British guys!

sterlingandbrandi said...

Hey Tia, I'm blog-stalking you! But I loved this movie too, and did you know that they sang all their own songs, it just seems so impressive to me.