Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don't quote me on any of the following...



I haven't learned much of anything, but here it is: (as per Jenny, my micro-derma lady)
Some of these may be obvious if you're not completely inept, like me.
--When you are using any type of exfoliator, stay far away from the eye area. As I mentioned before, only use exfoliators that have perfectly round "micro-beads", otherwise they leave little marks.
--If you are going to go OTC, Neutrogena is probably the best way to go. For cleansers, moisturizers, etc.
--Unless you have really oily skin, there is no need to wash your face in the mornings.
--Glycolic acid is really good for your skin. It basically dissolves the outer layer, revealing the new layer underneath. But only use if you are really good about sunscreen.
--This goes without saying, but sunscreen--above spf 15 on a daily basis is necessary for ALL areas of your skin. Don't forget your hands!
--Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...especially in the night!

See, not much. I was previously using Cetaphil cleanser, but Jenny said I need to step it up. When we were in Vegas, I got a sweet new cleanser called Cosmedicine at Sephora. I have only been using it for 2 weeks, but I totally like it. It is a make-up remover, cleanser, and toner all in one. Does not dry out your skin at all, but makes it feel super clean. And it is only one-step, you put it on sans water and then rinse. I highly recommend it.

As far as moisturizer goes, in the night I have just been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night Cream. It makes your skin oh so soft in the morning. And lastly, sunscreen. There are a lot of good face sunscreens out there. They are better if they have helioplex in them because it increases the amount of time that it is effective. I found a Neutrogena face sunscreen that is spf 70 with helioplex. I think that is probably a little overboard, but I figure, might as well.

Anyways...let's share ideas here so we don't have to resort to plastic surgery and looking like a total freak like Shayne's mom. Let me know what you use or what is good.

8 comments:

suzanne said...

I hope this stuff works-- I just bought some neutrogena night cream and 70 spf!! Thanks for doing the grunt-work to find the good stuff.

Emily said...

is the sunscreen really thick feeling? thanks for the tips it can be overwhelming with all the stuff out there. I think Shayne's mom is really a man........scary

Jenny H said...

I just bough Wexler moisturizer at Bath and Body Works. It is SPF 30, and I use it every morning. I have loved it, and I haven't tried much I've loved -because most make me break out.
Thanks for the tips!

Brianne said...

What ever you are doing it is working because your skin is flawless!

Amanda said...

Okay, so the one thing I too learned from my esthetician lady and have read a lot about is Vitamin C. Topical, not in juice form. You have to buy products that have it in it or just straight serum. It's pricey straight up - I've used all the Skinceutical line which is really good, totally made a difference, but so expensive my kids had to sell Chiclets in the street. They have a ferulic acid (basically Vitamin C) serum that exfoliates and dissolves dark spots and surface wrinkles. I've downsized to the Clinique "even better" serum which has Vit C in it and is cheaper, not as amazing.

john said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john said...

I have absolutely no input on the subject of facial skin care.

But, I did combine the orange/ pasta/spinich and the cheese/tomato salads you sent home with Ashley and ate that combo for lunch today.
it was very good.
so thanks

Julie said...

Thanks for the advice Tia! I really like the Aveda products because I have super sensitive and DRY skin (ever since moving here I might add). But any info helps! And we need to hang out soon!