Saturday, March 24, 2007

What's in a name??


I'm not sure if this is one of those Utah phenomenon things, but since we've moved back , I've noticed that there are some really weird names here. Obviously this is totally my opinion, so if you choose to keep reading, prepare to get offended.

I know that my name is not your run of the mill name. I don't have a problem with weird names...(within reason). I don't mind when girls are named traditional "boy" names like Sam or Michael. I think that's cute. And of course, there are lots of unisex names: like Tracy, Kelly, Pat, even Courtney. The strangeness I speak of and am continually encountering in Utah is turning man names into girl names. What do I mean, you ask? Well, let me give you some real-life examples (i.e. these are all people that I know or have met).
* Cliffette (I'm assuming her dad's name is Cliff)
*Nelladet (made by spelling her dad's name ted allen backwards)
*Donette
*Jeaneal (mom's name Jean, dad is neal)
*Retta (male family name Rett)

WTFreak? Some of these are worse than others. Advice to future parents out there: If you can't agree on a name for your new baby girl, don't just take your husband's name and add -ette, -a, -elle, or some other suffix. You will end up with a ridiculous name.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Tia..That made me laugh. I get so bugged by wierd names. I just met the cutest little girl named Fallon. What is that? Hey do you work at a school?

Emily said...

thanks to you T we will no longer be able to use "Joshette", if we have another girl. Now we have to start back at square one......

mares said...

T... I totally agree. I always love hearing the "utah originals".